Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Being a New Student

by Ben McKenzie (‘12)

I am a 15-year-old sophomore, who has just started at Wellsprings. Last year I went to a large public school. I was overwhelmed by the class size and workload. I had a friend who went to Wellsprings so I decided to visit.

I was turned on by the idea of small classes and minimal homework. I am very dedicated to extra-curricular activities like biking and white water kayaking, and I feel this school supports my interests.

Being part of a small school creates a sense of community that did not exist in public school. The small classes give you opportunity to have more one-on-one with the teachers and create an atmosphere where you can learn at your own pace.

Since coming to Wellsprings, I am much more engaged with what is going on in class. Chanci’s “Small Group Communication” is really cool, and I love the philosophical discussions in Tyler’s “God Who?” class.

###
Being a New StudentSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend