Monday, January 5, 2009

Brigid's Story: Why I Go to Wellsprings

I started at Wellsprings last January which is almost a year ago from now, and since then I have grown as a person more than I have in the last 17 years of my life. I attribute this to Wellsprings.

In the beginning, I felt a bit awkward because everyone was so close. But even then, the teachers and a few students made me very comfortable and I never felt like I had to change my personality because of social structures like at public school. I found the less I tried to fit in and the more I was myself, the more people accepted me. After a few months, I truly felt at ease and a part of the community.

The teachers are really here because they want us to learn and grow. I consider all of them like family. The friendships that I have gotten from this school are ones I know can withstand anything. No matter where I am, if I see a fellow (or former) Wellsprings student, it’s like seeing a relative.

The environment at Wellsprings make kids feel comfortable, and when people are in a place they feel comfortable, they flourish. I think that it’s a combination of the place (the home-like building), the people, and how we are in a community that makes it so comfortable. I really do like that we have community building and chores, because it has shown me we all need to pull our weight to make things work. At public school we were all just fish battling to get upstream. Here, at Wellsprings we help everyone out.

Wellsprings has shown me that even when things seem bad, scary, or different, there’s always another side to it. Some of the people here could look a certain way or like certain things but from being here and getting to really know them, it’s easy to see how similar and good people can be. Wellsprings changed my life for the better, and I truly don’t know where I would be without it.

-- Brigid ('08)

###
Brigid's Story: Why I Go to WellspringsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend